Monday, November 14, 2011

Linger

Do you ever have one of those perfect days even though nothing is perfect? Maybe it has to do with my new music obsession, She & Him, I don't know. But the perfect day started with me spilling my chocolatey breakfast drink all over the carpet while pretending I was Donna Reed (minus the heels, although I do don an apron while cooking) and folding towels before getting my kids and self off to work on time.


 I drove circles around my neighborhood this morning just so I could breathe. And as I buckled my son in his car seat, he peered down at me while I struggled to reach around in our stinkin' big SUV and blindly feel for the other end. As my eyes meet his gaze, he says in a tone of voice only he uses, "Mommy, I yuve you." There is purity in his voice, the inflection and the revelation. I pray never leaves. So after my second asthma attack, we ran back to the house to get my inhaler where Daddy offered to run him to daycare, so I could literally catch my breath that I had lost while running circles in our neighborhood.


And as students melt down and curse in imperfect speech at work, or when you hear of a parent doing something you would never dream of, you "Linger Still." When this song came on my new CD that I checked out from my local library this week from She & Him, how could I resist sharing it? The tune makes me get up and shuffle my feet with imperfect rhythm. And the phrase "linger still" stuck with me and made me recollect the moments I miss each day. The moments today I chose to linger and the ones I chose not to linger in.


What makes you happy? Today I lingered in my son's blue eyes and his "I yuv yous", my daughter's developmental pediatrician appointment and how blessed we are to have a doctor who takes time to listen to EVERY concern from this mother (no matter how silly), finding fun ways to practice spelling with my step-daughter, and even listening to my middle-schooler practice his viola. The pièce de résistance was having them all in bed on time, me in my new Old Navy pink fleece snowman PJ pants, Coca-Cola in hand and typing on my laptop, sharing with you, my beloved readers! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment